The adapted padel is a sport that has become more and more widespread both in Spain and in the rest of the world, almost simultaneously with the success of conventional sports. Both the Spanish Federation of Sports for the Physically Handicapped (FEDDF) as the Association of Padel for All (ASPADO) are two organizations that strive to make it one of the sports of reference for people with physical or mental disabilities. For all these reasons, it is important to know how the adapted padel equipment.
It is estimated that about 90% of the people who practice adapted padel are players who suffer from a disability resulting from an illness or accident that affects the practice of the sport on foot. The remaining 10% is due to birth disabilities such as spina bifida or limb malformations. The truth is that the adapted padel equipment is an aspect to take into account.
If you want to practice adapted padel you should know that in Playtomic there is the possibility of signing up for matches with people with other types of disabilities or open to the merger of people with and without disabilities. There are many activities available to users so that they can enjoy the practice of sports.
Adaptations to adapted padel
As such, adapted padel or wheelchair padel does not require too many adaptations or a rigorous adapted padel equipment.. The dimensions of the field are identical, although it should have at least two accesses to the runway of 1.05 meters wide..
It is recommended that the doors are sliding and that there are no steps or steps at the entrances that hinder the entry of wheelchairs. Space is tightly controlled. The system is used in standardized facilities, but otherwise, it is practiced in such a way as to provide a minimal sense of exclusion.
In adapted padel it is allowed the ball to bounce twice before being hit. Both in the serve and in the rest of the match. In addition, the serve is made underneath the men. On the other hand, the front wheels of the chair must be placed behind the baseline and if the ball hits the chair it will be considered a point for the sender, since the chair performs the same function as the body. If a doubles match is played, the partner may not touch the chair either, as this would be considered a foul.
What equipment is required for adapted padel?
No specific adapted padel equipment is required. As is recommended for any player, those who practice this modality should be equipped with comfortable and light sports clothing as well as shoes that facilitate mobility and adherence to the surface.
In the equipment of the adapted padel, balls and racquets must be optimal and efficient. As in conventional padel. Racquets with medium balance and a very large centered sweet spot are recommended, with a low density LD Foam core and anti-vibration technology. All rackets must be equipped with an appointment that allows its attachment to the doll.
In the case of people with mental disabilities, there is no specific adapted padel equipment. However, for people with physical disabilities, it will be very important to have a wheelchair with special conditionsThe conventional wheelchair has a lower stability and could lead to a high risk of falls and injuries to the players.
In the adapted padel equipment it is very important to take into account that, both for basketball and padel, they must be inclined to give greater stability and agility to the athlete. The front and rear wheels are smaller, plus a roll bar to avoid unforeseen events.
Wheelchairs, as adapted padel equipment, are made of aluminum, titanium or carbon fiber, which makes them lighter and more durable.
It is important to remember that under no circumstances is the player allowed to lose contact with the wheelchair, being mandatory the anchoring with belts, straps or webbing at the feet and waist. If the player tries to brake or propel himself by putting his foot on the court, it will be cause for a foul or penalty.
When working on the adapted padel equipment it is necessary to take into account that if the wheelchair needs to be adjusted or repaired during play. The time may not be stopped for more than 20 minutes and resetting may not exceed the 1 minute time range.
A widespread concept
Adapted padel has many social, psychological and physical social, psychological and physical benefits to those who are encouraged to practice it, so that ASPADO has promoted through its delegations in Madrid, Castilla y León, Castilla La Mancha and Andalusia the holding of adapted padel tournaments. Now that you know the adapted padel equipment, you just have to try it. Because sport knows no limits!